Diary of an Apprentice Boatbuilder

This blog will follow my progress from the kind of guy that struggles to put up shelves to launching my own boat in 38 weeks.

Tuesday 5 April 2011

End of Week 3

The time is flying by and I for one am beginning to realise the enormity of building a boat in the time we have available.

On the boat front the original plan has ben reviewed and I will no longer be building a Beer Lugger, in discussions with the BBA Staff they have recommended that given the intention to experiment with sustainable fishing something a little more local to the Plymouth area would be advantageous, so following some research we are opting to build a Pilchard Larker based on a Cawsands design from the turn of the 19th Century, the original was still going after 60 years so its longevity isn't in question.  The rig was changed a couple of times and we will probably be going for a later rig with a large and heavy centre plate.

Not only can I bore for Britain on planes, I can now bore for Britain on types of traditional fishing boats!

Life in Cell Block H, as the accommodation is fondly known by those that live in, has settled into a routine of sorts, a number of people have opted to seek outside accommodation and I can understand it if your not used to living communally; the main advantage is without a doubt the convenience.

Lyme Regis itself is a nice rather quaint town, which, once you get behind the beach and high street possesses some real architectural gems and is actually very pleasant, beer however is a horrendous price, not that I am drinking, I have just heard rumours, I am however reliable informed that £3.80 a pint is not that unreasonable in a seaside town, Being TT would have a lot to recommend it if I hadn't been charged £3 for a pint of lime and lemonade... I did ask them not to bother with ice, a move that clearly upset the landlord!

So at the time of this post we are into week 4 and a multitude of different mortice and tenon joints, lectures on fastenings, Health and Safety, and Glue!

More later...

PS. There will be photographs once I work out how to get them on here.