Diary of an Apprentice Boatbuilder

This blog will follow my progress from the kind of guy that struggles to put up shelves to launching my own boat in 38 weeks.

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Today I has been mostly fettling...

So plain scarph with hook is now behind me.  In the end it didn't come out too badly following the application of a lot of glue and three large clamps.  I am however learning that you need to try and minimise the pencil lines as they are difficult to remove once everything is assembled.

Now we are onto dovetails, which strangely enough I have found to be simpler, that doesn't necessarily mean I am any better at them, I can just make a mess of them faster!  Seriously while I know it is only day two of week two it is amazing how fast you begin to pick things up when you are doing it 6 hours a day.

Todays painful lesson has been to check the sides of chisels before using them, it is not only the blade which can be v. sharp as I found to my cost, to paraphrase from Captain and Commander, there is now enough of my blood in the dovetail to class it as a relation.

Fettling is indeed an actual process and, yes, it is possible to 'fettle your futtocks' in certain circumstances...