Diary of an Apprentice Boatbuilder

This blog will follow my progress from the kind of guy that struggles to put up shelves to launching my own boat in 38 weeks.

Saturday 26 March 2011

Week Two

Well we have reached the end of week 2 still in possession of all my fingers.

The pace with which we are progressing is fast and this week I have been 'mastering', I use the term loosely, the art of dovetails.  Large quantities of glue remain a major component of my joints, although I am definitely getting the knack of planning... I have a little way to go with the chiselling but there is steady improvement.  This improvement has been achieved through the patience and hard work of our tutor Mike who really does have the patience and perseverance of a saint.

However, back to joints, this week we have learnt about and constructed through-dovetails, lap-dovetails, and water-stop dovetails, though I have to admit the tails on some of mine would probably be more aptly called swallow tails, and given there shape probably swallows that fly in circles!

We have also been introduced to the intricacies of a multi-plane, which is a great bit of kit and if set up correctly takes much of the pain out of cutting slots.

Alongside the practical elements we have also been touching on the joys of H&S as it applies to the Boatbuilding Industry and also looking at aspects of the selection and use of timber.  Once again we have learnt that not only does every tool in the workshop have it in for us if we have a momentary lapse of concentration, but also even some types of wood can mess with your head. (Literally, machining some timbers causes them to emit toxic fumes that can in some circumstances cause damage to ones nervous system over time). Just when we thought it was safe to go out again!

Having received our lecture on Risk Assessment we were let loose in the Boatbuilding Shed to carry one out as an exercise in observation... most of us forgot the vital condition, to paraphrase, that states one should apply the 'that which is reasonable' test; sadly we forgot this when we declared one student's hair a Risk to good taste.

It is Lent and I have been off, cake, biscuits, chocolate, and alcohol, I have dropped from 12st 13lbs to 12st 2lb in a fortnight.  Which has absolutely nothing to do with Boatbuilding but I thought I would mention!