Diary of an Apprentice Boatbuilder

This blog will follow my progress from the kind of guy that struggles to put up shelves to launching my own boat in 38 weeks.

Thursday 28 July 2011

As Mark Twain would have said...

Rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated...  That is probably not correct but I am aware I have been pretty quiet this week...

'Why you may well ask?'

Garboards!

Fitting the garboard has proven to be an absolute nightmare and we haven't yet succeeded in getting one on the boat, we have however finally reached the stage of getting it to fit.  If I am honest it has been a very frustrating week and trying in a number of ways.

Larch Board marked out with the first garboard

After almost a week we finally got the front end to fit!

This is the 'unsteamed' shape imagine the end bent through a 45% curve and you get some idea of what is going on, or not! 
However, we soldier on and hopefully we will get around to getting the garboard on the portside on tomorrow before the weekend.